What is your favorite movie and why?
It was a question posed to a room full of fairly devout Catholics. So it generated answers like: “The Passion of the Christ.” “Therese.” “Ben Hur.” “Chariots of Fire.”
My answer (the correct answer, obviously: “The Blues Brothers.”
Let me list the substantive and compelling reasons:
- Jake gets out of jail and he and his brother go to visit the nun who helped raise them in boarding school – The Penguin. Rather devoted of them, don’t you think?
- They find out the school will close if it can’t raise money to pay its property taxes.
- They set out to put their old band together and have a big concert to raise the money, which they actually do.
- Their justification for wreaking mayhem in the process? “We’re on a mission from God.”
- They destroy the most police cars ever destroyed in a single movie chase scene.
- The drive through an indoor shopping mall without hurting anyone.
- It is a Chicago movie and that is where I live.
- The music is glorious.
- Virtually everyone in the movie is someone I’d like to sit down with and share stories over a cup of coffee.
- It makes you simultaneously laugh and cry.
I could go on, but I believe I’m made my point.