Every wonder how our society is doing with respect to the 10 Commandments? Hint: not so well.
I’ve always thought of the 10 Commandments as pretty much the foundation for good behavior. If everyone actually observed them, the world would be a nicer place. But our society – especially big government — apparently disagrees. Let’s do a little analysis…of how modern America responds to each commandment…
- I am the Lord your God. You shall worship the Lord you God and Him only shall you serve.
- The feds take nuns to court to force them to pay for insurance that covers abortion and birth control.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord you God in vain.
- Just walk down the street with your ears open.
- Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.
- Going to the mall doesn’t keep the day holy, but the parking lots are full.
- Honor your father and your mother.
- It is not an honor to put granny in a nursing home.
- You shall not kill.
- Abortion, euthanasia, drone attacks, nuclear bombs….the government does it all.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- We’re raised adultery to an art form.
- You shall not steal.
- Actually, through high taxes and fees, the government has become the greatest thief in history.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- If you like your health insurance you can keep it…the bad movie caused the riots…I guess the projects weren’t quite as shovel-ready as we thought…
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.
- No need to covet a willing sinner.
- You shall not cover your neighbor’s goods.
- Anybody noticed how the federal government is promoting income redistribution? Whatever happened to working hard to get ahead – or is that a silly, old-fashioned notion?
So….that makes us 0-10, which doesn’t bode well for our long-term happiness or survival. A person who lives by the 10 Commandments lives a Godly, honorable life. That is getting to be a rare breed.